Friday 25 May 2018

Snapshot on the life of a Victorian inventor and auctioneer’s clerk

Hi all. I just read this and found it immensely entertaining and interesting so wanted to share it here so that more people get the chance to read it. 
It is a diary for the whole of the year 1888 by a chap called John Alcock, who lived in Cheadle, Staffordshire, UK, and was the Great-Grandfather of an old friend of mine, Rob Alcock, who himself grew up in Cheadle (although as you will see, John moved around a bit).
I recommend reading it from start to finish - I read it in two sessions of a couple of hours each, last night and this morning. It’s amazing how attached you can get to someone you never met, who was writing 130 years ago and who is writing about pretty everyday things.
The link I’ve copied in here is for the first diary entry, on the 2nd of Jan 1888. There are some blog posts before that but they are background information about the family leading up to 1888. I didn’t read them until after I’d read the whole diary. 
Enjoy

2 comments: